A. Perform Accident Trend Analysis
- Identify top cost and severity contributors
- Identify top frequency causes
- Create reduction targets
B. Examine Current Accident Investigation Process
- Are investigations conducted?
- Are corrective actions recommended?
- Identify areas for improvement or upgrade or establish the basis for initiation of accident investigations
C. Determine Desired Outcomes
- Accident investigations determine how and why failures occur
- Use information gained to help prevent a similar or perhaps a more serious accident from occurring
- Identification of root cause
- Exposure of errors in the process that may have contributed to the accident
- Provide basis for elimination of identified hazards
- Decrease accident rates and workers\' compensation costs
- Provide information for correction of unsafe acts or unsafe conditions
- Make clearly articulated recommendations for prevention of future accidents
D. Prepare Training Program for Identified Investigators
- How to identify root causes
- What are at risk behaviors
- How to identify workplace deficiencies
- Identification of short-cuts or deviations from established procedures
- Rule and/or Policy enforcement
- Interviewing skills (who, what, where, when, why and how)
- Who was involved or contributed to the accident?
- Who witnessed the accident?
- What actions and/or conditions led up to the accident?
- Where did the accident happen?
- Why did the accident happen?
- When did the accident happen?
E. Corrective Action Process
- Establish and explain the corrective action process
- Establish safety rules and policies and train the investigators
- Determine if you wish to have a return to work program and train your investigators in how the program works